Restaurant in Pittsburgh’s Greenfield Neighborhood Closed for Health Violations

A restaurant in Pittsburgh’s Greenfield neighborhood was recently forced to close its doors after health inspectors discovered rodent droppings and a slew of other violations. China Star on Murray Avenue underwent an inspection on Wednesday, resulting in an order for closure by the Allegheny County Health Department.

During the inspection, it was revealed that all food contact surfaces, including sinks, cutting boards, plates, and utensils, were covered in grease and rodent droppings. The inspector also discovered rodent droppings throughout the entire facility, on all levels. In addition to this, the report listed numerous other violations, such as adulterated food due to pest infestations. A dead bug was found in a bucket of flour, droppings were present in a package of chilies, and a barrel of sugar contained rodent droppings.

Further violations included the absence of soap and paper towels at a hand sink, grease and grime on the kitchen floor, and uncovered food stacked on trays and then piled on top of each other. Clearly, the restaurant had failed to maintain basic standards of cleanliness and hygiene.

The Allegheny County Health Department’s Food Safety Program is responsible for monitoring and regulating approximately 8,500 permanent food businesses in the county, including restaurants, food trucks, school cafeterias, and food processing facilities. Every food establishment is required to obtain and maintain a health permit while operating in accordance with Allegheny County’s food safety regulations.

The health department regularly conducts inspections and promptly investigates consumer complaints. If you have concerns about your dining experience, you can easily submit a complaint online. The health and safety of consumers are of utmost importance, and it is vital that restaurants maintain the highest standards to prevent any potential harm to their patrons.

It is expected that China Star will rectify the violations, undergo a re-inspection, and resume operations once it meets the necessary health and safety standards.

FAQ:

1. Why was China Star forced to close its doors?
China Star was forced to close its doors after health inspectors discovered rodent droppings and several other violations during an inspection.

2. What were some of the violations discovered during the inspection?
During the inspection, it was found that food contact surfaces were covered in grease and rodent droppings. Rodent droppings were also found throughout the entire facility. Other violations included adulterated food due to pest infestations, the absence of soap and paper towels at a hand sink, and uncovered food stacked on trays.

3. Who ordered the closure of China Star?
The closure of China Star was ordered by the Allegheny County Health Department.

4. What is the responsibility of the Allegheny County Health Department’s Food Safety Program?
The Food Safety Program is responsible for monitoring and regulating approximately 8,500 permanent food businesses in the county, including restaurants, food trucks, school cafeterias, and food processing facilities.

5. How can consumers submit complaints about their dining experience?
Consumers can easily submit complaints online if they have concerns about their dining experience.

Definitions:

– Rodent droppings: Feces left behind by rats, mice, or other rodents.
– Adulterated food: Food that has become impure or contaminated, often due to the presence of pests or foreign substances.
– Pest infestations: Large populations of pests, such as rodents or insects, present in a particular area.

Suggested related links:
Allegheny County Health Department – Food Safety Program
File a Complaint – Allegheny County Health Department